Water Cooled Chiller
Water-cooled chiller systems have a cooling tower, thus they feature higher efficiency than air-cooled chillers.Water-cooled chillers are more efficient because they condense depending on the ambient temperature bulb temperature, which is lower than the ambient dry bulb temperature. The lower a chiller condenses, the more efficient it is.
This system has several essential components including:
- Cooling towers
- Condenser water pumps
- Make-up water pumps
- TES reservoirs
Some users may prefer these chillers because of the
- smaller size they occupy as compared to air-cooled chillers.
- These chillers also feature higher efficiency and last longer than the mentioned alternative.
Those who would like the equipment to be placed indoors may find the water-cooled machine desirable
Basic Refrigeration Cycle for Water Cooled Chillers
In this TDP, we will explain the refrigeration cycle using components from a centrifugal chiller since that type of chiller is water-cooled. The following temperatures are typical of the standard refrigeration cycle for comfort cooling applications. In the evaporator of a water-cooled chiller, liquid refrigerant at approximately 42º F takes on heat from building return water (whose entering temperature may be represented at 54º F) flowing through the evaporator, and changes to a vapor. The refrigerant vapor is drawn into the compressor and its temperature and pressure are elevated. The compressor provides the work necessary to compress the gas to a temperature and pressure required by the condenser, typically 97º F. The gas is then discharged into the condenser where it condenses on tubes through which water flows, typically at 85º F. This is the entering condenser water from the cooling tower. The condensed droplets of liquid refrigerant then fall to the bottom of the condenser, flow through a pressure reducing de-vice such as a float valve or an orifice, and return to the bottom of the cooler where the process repeats itself.
Water Chiller Maintenance Requirements
- Keep cooling and condenser fluids clean (7 pH range).
- Regular electrical systems checks
Custom Water Cooled Chillers
We customize each of our water cooled chillers to suit specific industries. If your application requires a more unique solution our fluid handling engineers will be able to walk you through the design process then build the chiller to your exact needs.
- Custom Sized Water chillers – Our chillers are versatile and we are able to offer custom units based on any space requirements, including custom mounting capabilities.
- Lower Operating costs – Our chillers are designed to minimize operation costs while providing high reliability and lower maintenance requirements.
Water cooled chiller